Wednesday 14 May 2008

San Sebastian - Day Seventy Two

I had just over a week of trip left.

I had the whole of Europe to choose from.

I came back to San Sebastian.

Obviously, there were lots of exciting new places I could have chosen to spend my last few days in, but at this stage, after nearly three months of travelling, I was starting to feel tired. Travelling around like this - spending a couple of nights in a place, cramming in the sights then hitting the road again - can really take it out of you after a while. The thought of a few days spent on the beach and nights spent sipping beers in the pintxos bars was too tempting to resist.

Unfortunately, my bank balance has taken a real pounding after all these weeks, so I took the cheaper option of taking a Eurolines overnight bus to get down here. It got me into town at 4.30am and then nearly drove off with my rucksack. I wasn't allowed to check into my hostel until 12pm, so I sat on a bench by the seafront and watched the sun rise, which was nice. I'm not taking another overnight bus though.

There's not actually that much to do in San Sebastian. I can't surf (yet), so that rules out the main attraction. I rented a mountain bike, but the town's not particularly big so that didn't last long. I visited the aquarium. I sat on the beach a lot and wondered why men with pot bellies and genitals that look like sad little sun dried shrimps enjoy taking their clothes off so much. The rest of the time I've eaten great food and sunk a few beers. It's been great! I've spent so much time looking around art galleries, monuments, cathedrals and famous landmarks recently that all this sitting around doing bugger all is just what the doctor ordered.

In fact, writing this blog post has been more than enough activity for now. I'm off to find a bar.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hope we'll see you at Chez Ali-MacTaggart during your time home, Boyne?! I would like to ogle your haircut and the pics you took before your camera got all broked. Damn Nikon! x