Sunday 9 March 2008

Madrid - Day Five

Woke up at 7.30am (earliest start yet) and began a long day's travelling to Madrid. There are no high speed trains on the way, so I enjoyed a half hour trip to the border town of IrĂșn, a three hour wait at IrĂșn station, then a seven hour trip to Madrid. The scenery on the way down kept things interesting though, especially through Basque country, which looks surprisingly Alpine rather than Spanish.

So, I arrived in Madrid after a long day's travelling, and was met at the station by Aidan - a good mate from school. By the time we'd got back to his flat it was 10pm, and by the time we had eaten some tapas, sunk a few beers and watched a football match on tv, it must have been about midnight. It turns out that in Madrid, midnight is early...

This city is amazing! There are bars everywhere, and at night everyone hits the streets; hopping from bar to bar, snacking on tapas, and sipping at drinks with some of the most ridiculously generous spirit measures I've ever seen. I had easily the best night of my trip so far, and eventually got to sleep at about 9am. I want to live here.

No comments: