Wednesday 5 March 2008

London

I'm a fairly organised person. When I travel I like to know that I've packed sensibly and efficiently, and that I've left myself plenty of time to catch the plane/train /automobile I bought a ticket for. That's why waking up on Saturday morning with a spectacular hangover, a half eaten kebab and less than an hour to get sober, showered and to Totnes train station came as a slightly unpleasant surprise.

I'd managed to remain relatively responsible for Friday night's farewell drinks in Totnes, but my beloved friends couldn't let me leave without sneakily lining up a colourful little selection of shot glasses as a leaving present. They're thoughtful like that you see.

As a result, I managed a hasty shower, had time to double check my tickets and passport (but not the rest of my luggage), and visibly shuddered when my mum offered me breakfast. I made it to the train though, and set off to London with barely a queasy backward glance for Devon.

I spent a really nice few nights staying with James Rowden (and Sarah) in London, but suffered instantly for confidently abandoning my mobile phone (like the self-sufficient ubertraveller I am) when I failed to meet up with any of the old uni friends and Cardiff workmates I had arranged to catch up with. Managed to have a few drinks with James, Tamsin and Bruce on Saturday night though which was very nice, as well as experiencing some impressive Rowden hospitality in the form of tasty meals and frequent cups of tea.

On Tuesday morning I tubed across town to the impressively shiny new St. Pancras station, but found it a bit boring and empty after all the hype it's had in the media. I'm not sure if I was looking shabby, suspicious, dangerous or a combination of all of these things, because I immediately got pulled aside for a 'random bag check'. This involved a full-body pat-down, and me slowly emptying the smaller of my two rucksacks so the security guard could have a painstaking snoop through all my stuff and swab the bag for traces of explosives. Bit of a pain in the arse. Next time I'm going to dress smarter and pack less stuff...

No comments: